30 March 2010

Day 3: Smoke and Mirrors

Currently Reading:
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman.  ISBN: 9780380789023.

In some ways I feel a little guilty giving Mr. Gaiman even more press than he already receives (not that I have a huge following as of yet), but the spirit of the project it not to review what I'm reading, but rather to share reflections and thoughts that my current reading invokes.  And, well, I read Neil Gaiman.  For me his work is the stuff of modern fairytales.  I think he very appropriately captures the childish wonder and fantasy in his novels, whether the audience is adult or child, that allows us to believe in something beyond our own world. 

Since this is a collection of short stories and I will at times be too busy to update every day, or regularly, I will be using this particular volume for short entries...or I'll be using it to cheat and publish pre-written entries.  Don't worry!  I will let you know when the original entry was written, but this way I can still contribute to my blog without feeling compelled to work on it every single day, or take vacations only where I have internet access.  Speaking of which, my fiance and I have decided to take a somewhat impromptu trip to visit my mother in Montomgery, Alabama, so guess who's going to start cheating right off the bat.  Trust me dear reader, you don't want to see the poorly typed ramblings of someone who drove for ten hours, found a hotel to crash in, and has to force herself to come up with some kind of drivel more profound than, "Um, it was a book on CD, and um, roads are long."  On the topic of books on CD, here are a few that might pop up in the not too distant future, since we both picked out a few.

-Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
-On the Road by Jack Kerouac (I thought it was appropriate, so sue me.)
-Pride and Prejuidice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen

In addition to these, since the Wood County Public Library will be on furlough when I get back from my trip, I made sure to stock up on "real" books and I'm looking forward to plowing through those.  I'm especially excited about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer, because I love the idea of taking a historical figure who has already been mythologized and adding doing something completely bizarre with the figure as a character. 

Gee, I seem to be focusing rather a lot on paranormal books here.  I promise you, it's all a coincidence and like everyone else I go through phases and moods where I lean more towards one kind of a book than another.  If you're interested in books I've read in the past or that I'm planning to read I encourage you to sign up for and add me as a friend on Goodreads.com.  I do have an up-next shelf that I tend to pick books from, but I make no guarantees that they'll be the next to show up in the blog.  Life is full of surprises and I have no idea what I'll decide to read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...