12 July 2011

Post 403: a general update

Meh, my personal life is full of failures and boredom, so let's just skip that. My blog got a whole bunch of hits last month, which was awesome sauce, but those have dropped off. I don't know why, but stats are fun. Also, someone did a search for, "I had no idea poop was such a problem for librarians" and clicked my blog. At the moment I appear as the second Google search result, just below the Wikipedia article for "Shit." Oh, to be so close to greatness; my life goals are now complete, readerlings. Speaking of shit, I'm readin' stuff.

Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me: A Memoir... Of Sorts by Ian Morgan Cron.
Publisher was all, you wanna book? And I was all...ehhhhh Jesus? Maybe? And then there was this link to a chapter and I perused it ya'll, and then it was like... Okay! Publishers sending me books makes my blog senses tingle, which are bit like spider senses, only less cobwebby... I'm lying about the cobwebs. So, this is a thing about a guy whose father is in the CIA and the Lying Liars who Lied About Lying, uh, or, you know, how do you know who your dad was if He Has A Secret Identity? I are excite, with slight reservations about possible Religious (beat-you-)Over(-the-head) Tones.

Sex on Six Legs: Lessons on Life, Love, and Language from the Insect World by Marlene Zuk.
Bugs are Sexy... or perhaps... Sixy. But no, I have ALWAYS been fascinated by bugs. I could watch them for hours. I even took an entomology class at Antioch College with the amazing Jill Yager (she discovered a whole CLASS of insects, I mean, awesome). And it's almost high summer in Alabama, so why not immerse myself even more in the swarms? Fucking mosquitos...

What Language is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be by John H. McWhorter.
That is an awkward subtitle, yo. Then again, that is an awkward last name, my sympathies there, McWhorter (especially if that rhymes with quarter). I had a professor who claimed there was a difference between language and Language. The former often was dead or out of use (i.e. Latin or Victorian English respectively), while the latter requires common and "widespread" usage, must change, and must acquire new words and adaptations in structure, etc. I am vaguely hoping that this will also discuss when slang or abbreviated forms of a language become their own Language, for instance internet speak versus "standard" English: are they even the same language? Wtf, for serious, lol, like, you know what I mean!!!11!!!?

Breathless by Dean Koontz.
Um. I don't know. I haven't read any Dean Koontz before. Someone in high school told me I should try his books. Yeah, here I am, ten years later. I'm awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhh

    you are not gonna like dean koontz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Dayna, you're correct so far, but what's your reasoning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because he kind of writes like all of those male mystery authors you have blogged about in the past, and haven't enjoyed.

    i really liked his stuff when i was in high school, but i see now that his writing is flavorless and just bad.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...