27 August 2011

Post 419: a general update

Readerlings, I have sad news. Recently my fiance and I have decided not to get married. It was a mutual decision, we are still friends, he is still my editor, we still even love each other. Unfortunately, neither of us can eat or pay rent with love as we are just not that attractive.* It is not that we've given up hope or loving each other, just that we've given up faith that things will get better enough that we will be together. We ended it now before it devolved into being totally sick of each other with screaming matches and blame games. In some ways it makes it both the easiest and the worst breakup I've been through.

There is nothing for a breakup like burying myself under a pile of books and refusing to come out until I've finished it. If anyone feels free to hose me down and feed me ice cream once I emerge, I will probably appreciate it.

Dracula in Love by Karen Essex.
Another book from the Goodreads giveaway program. I know how to get free books LIKE A BOSS. My interest was actually piqued by this title a couple of times in the library, but I always put it back because I already had a full armload. I do love that this revisits the idea of sexuality in the Victorian novel, especially as it does so from Mina Harker's point of view. Seriously, Dracula is one of the best novels to read to get an understanding of how scary Victorians thought sex was (they anthropomorphized sex and gave it fangs and an unquenchable appetite)!

Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters.
From the guy who wrote Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, we have the bedbug infestation from hell. Maybe. That is what the blurb promises anyway. And the blurb has never lied. I am sure there will also be cake. And ponies.

We Want to Believe: Faith and Gospel in the X-Files by Amy M. Donaldson.
Most of my X-Files watching was a result of prodding from my mother-in-law. We became good friends, and she was really into it. I still prefer the monster of the week episodes, but I always like philosophical, and sometimes religious, exploration of popular culture phenomena. So far Donaldson has made some interesting observations and I'm looking forward to reading the entire book.

Snuff by Terry Pratchett.
Why yes, this novel doesn't come out until October 13th. I nabbed a review copy from Netgalley. It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of reading Pratchett. Needless to say I am excited. It's all I can do not to shove all of my other books to the side and do nothing but read this until I am finished. Dear Terry Pratchett, be my best friend? I mean for realsy, not just by writing books I love; you are already my best friend that way.

*Editor's Note: I have to admit, I laughed at this, and now I feel bad.*
*LibsNote: Editor happens to be my former fiance. Yes, it is/was a strange relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...