06 January 2011

Post 285: a general update

Not a whole lot going on right now with me personally.  Continuing to look for work.  I've decided to go back to temping.  I had actually been meaning to do so long before now, but things kept coming up.  I think part of it is I just really don't want to do it.  I want to be a librarian, and anything else just feels like a waste of my talents.  Still, gotta eat.  Also, in order to keep my author tags at the bottom of the page less cluttered, I've decided to remove the ones I haven't covered in a year.  This won't take effect until March 2011, and the tags will still be there.  If you're looking for someone particular, I recommend using the search bar at the top left of the blog.  Anyway, you don't watch me for this, on with the reading list!

The Passage by Justin Cronin.
I have been wanting to read this since NPR first started talking about.  All of the reviews and attention it's gotten since have only made me more desperate to get my hands on it.  But it is such a BIG book.  I wasn't sure if I could spend that much time with it and keep up with the blog.  Luckily I managed to build up a buffer between some insane reading endeavors, a guest blog or two, and one of these here general updates.  I'm actually about a quarter of the way through the book as of writing this post and it. Is. Amazing.

Fried: Why You Burn Out and How To Revive by Joan Z. Borysenko.
This caught my eye on NetGalley.  I had actually requested and received access to it ages ago, but now that I have my eReader I think it'll be much easier for me to sit and read.  By the way, using Adobe Digital Editions to load eBooks is really easy.  I've taken a glance at Fried, so far it doesn't look too preachy and might prove useful to my situation.

A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler.
Still working my way through my ALA 2010 stack.  This is one of those, as are the next two on this list.  I, um, I like the cover?  In any case, it seems to be well rated on Goodreads and Donna of Bites seems to think highly of it, so we'll see what I think.  Psst, if you click on the link you can enter to win a copy of A Blue So Dark, contest ends January 17, 2011.

The Diviner's Tale by Brad Morrow.
Even though this is another mystery novel, it seems like it might involve more character development than the usual who-dunnit.  I'm interested to see how Cassandra reacts to finding a woman murdered in the woods and what goes from there.

The Eden Hunter by Skip Horack.
This appears to be historical fiction about a relatively untouched topic: a Pygmy captured and sold into slavery in 1812.  Looks like an interesting adventure-type romp through Florida.

Untimely Guest by Marian Babson.
It's another one of my Forgotten Bookmark wins.  I looked through the stack recently and was glad to see there wasn't any more Ted Wood, not that I would have read anything else by him anyway.  There are however far more Lillian Braun Jackson books than I can ignore, and she's honestly not bad enough to skip over.  Dammit.  I am kind of glad I'm torturing myself this way, I will have an excuse to never read another mystery in my life when this is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...