02 March 2011

Post 340: a general update

You might notice that I didn't write about Salman Rushdie's The Ground Beneath Her Feet. I'm going to, I just didn't feel like lugging all 600 pages of hardback book with me on the weekend I visited my fiance. So look for posts about Rushdie a little bit later. In the meantime I loaded up my eReader with all sorts of stuff (I may have been a bit overeager with that).

Reading Jackie by William Kuhn.
This is about Jackie Onassis. She's an interesting, near mythical, figure in our history. To be honest I didn't realize she worked as an editor and the thesis of the book was that she "wrote" her autobiography by the books she chose to publish and how she edited them.

Lift by Kelly Corrigan.
This is sort of a short memoir/memory book for Corrigan's children. I could not relate to it as a parent, but it did make me wish my own mother would write a small collection of memories for me.

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.
I have been wanting to read this for awhile. I have a secret: I really love stories where Death or Reapers have a large narrative role. I devour shows like Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me. I think I like the idea of being a grim reaper because death is possibly the most intimate moment in our lives, so it's interesting to me to see how different "Deaths" view their job.

The Caveman's Valentine by George Dawes Green.
I watched the movie with Samuel L. Jackson and it was pretty amazing. Nancy Pearl recommended the novel at ALA 2010, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group by Catherine Jinks.
A NetGalley book. I love the title. I was interested in this because I've been meaning to read The Reformed Vampire Support Group by the same author. If I don't like this one I know I can skip the other or at least not bother with seeking it out. I'm hoping for something a bit humorous and spoofy with this... Oh god, I hope it doesn't take itself seriously.

Rage by Jackie Kessler.
The premise behind this series is that Death has chosen four teenagers to be the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Hunger is already out and death chose an anorexic teen to be Famine. This book is obviously about War...and we get Missy who is a cutter. It's almost too bad that Kessler didn't choose someone who died from a gunfight in gang violence, but I like the concept. The question is, will I like the book?

Plastic: A Toxic Love Story by Susan Freinkel.
Plastic is awesome, and kind of not. It does so much for us, and not all of it good. I like non-fiction books that present the good and the bad of everyday objects. We really do need to get away from the Disposable Everything mindset. So, if you have any plastic Kinder egg capsules, my cat loves to bat them around the house, usually at 3AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...