15 June 2010

Day 80: Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  ISBN: 97814159161963 (audiobook).

 If ignorance is bliss, why are people trying to find out why they're so unhappy in the first place?  Wouldn't it be better to stay in the dark?  Reading isn't there to make you happy, life isn't there to make you happy.  Removing knowledge from the world and retreating to a state of ignorance, *gasp* will also not make you happy.  All it will do is hide your problems until they have time to sneak up on you from behind and bite your head off.

Ignoring your problems, or even the fact that you have problems, and trust me you do, is a bad, bad thing.  If you're one to scoff at and scorn people who use drugs, alcohol, video games, etc. as a means of constant escape from the badness of their lives, but are also one to brush off your problems and not recognize them for what they are, you are just as bad as the alcoholics/potheads/video game junkies.

Believe me, one day someone will come up to you and ask you if you are happy, and then you will have to think about it.  I'm asking you now, are you happy?  If you aren't, do you know what needs to change to make you happy?  Is it something you're avoiding because it's just too much damned work?  If you are happy, why?  Is it something you've done that makes you content with yourself, or is just you current circumstance which might be ripped away from you at any moment?

People seem to think that happiness just appears like rainbows and shooting stars.  It doesn't.  You have to work at being happy, there is no effortless happiness.  Yes, the root word means "luck," and there is a lot of luck in happiness, but there's so much more to it as well.  Happiness is kind of like a house.  If you build a good strong foundation and put a lot of care into it, you'll be able to withstand some bad luck hailstorms and your garden will flourish with the rain.  If you build a crappy house it's likely to be blown over by some asshole with a leaf blower. 

There are a lot of things you can do to build your happiness, and even my house is somewhat of a fixer-upper.  But for the most part I would say I'm fairly happy.  I have pretty good relationships with friends, family, and fiance.  I am comfortable, clean, and safe.  I am prepared for most future disasters.  I am also happy.  There are things that I am not happy about, but I like who I am at the moment, and I think I'm on my way to going good places.  There are days when it's hard to remember that, but most of the time my life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...